Sleep Tips – How to get a better nights sleep
A common complaint we see in the clinic is sleep issues. We all find it hard to function off a bad night’s sleep, so why is it so important? and what can you do to improve your sleep? Have a read of this blog and find out!
Adequate sleep is vital for your health, but can be hard to achieve when life is busy. Sleeping problems are common, with up to 4 in 10 Australian adults not getting enough good-quality sleep. Fortunately, there are many things you can do to improve your sleep.
Sleep is an essential function that allows your body and mind to recharge, leaving you refreshed and alert when you wake up (Sleep Foundation, 2021).
Not getting enough sleep can seriously affect a person’s health. As well as impacting concentration and mood, lack of sleep has been linked to a range of conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and even premature death.
Things you can do to increase your chances of getting a good night’s rest:
- Invest in a good pillow – a pillow that offers your head and neck support is ideal
- Invest in a good mattress – can be expensive but when you look at how much we use our mattresses it is worth getting a good one! Mattress toppers can be a more viable option also.
- Use pillows to support yourself – whether it is a pillow between the knees to help your low back, or cuddling a pillow to assist your shoulder pain, there are many ways to support your body especially if you are in pain.
- Keep bed for sleep – avoiding technology while in bed
- Relaxation techniques before bed – try a guided meditation or some deep breathing
- Avoid napping during the day – we all find it hard to resist the urge when we can barely keep our eyes open but staying awake until bedtime will help keep your body clock in check and will hopefully help you fall asleep at the correct time as you may be more tired.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and large meals before going to bed
- Ensure adequate temperature and lighting in the room
If we can help with any aches or pains that are making you feel uncomfortable or it is affecting your sleep, please get in touch with us at Berwick Family Osteopathy on 9702 0094 to find out how we can help. You can also book online at: Book Online | Berwick Family Osteopathy.
We also have a vast array of different pillows to purchase and your Osteopath can help try and find the best one for you.
Blog written by Dr Tom McKenna – Registered Osteopath.
Berwick Family Osteopathy & Spinal Clinic
- Sleep. (2021). Retrieved 10 December 2021, from https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/sleep
- Why Do We Need Sleep? | Sleep Foundation. (2021). Retrieved 15 December 2021, from https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/why-do-we-need-sleep