Looking for an Osteo in Berwick?
What is Osteopathy?
Osteopathy is a “hands on” form of manual therapy that can increase the overall function of the body for both the mother & baby. During pregnancy your body undergoes a great deal of change both physically, emotionally & hormonally. These changes cause softening of your pelvic ligaments, an increase in anterior weight & postural changes. In turn this causes a lot of additional pressure on your joints and muscles of your spine and pelvis.
Osteopathic treatment may also be beneficial after giving birth. During labor and the birth process your body is put through a lot of forces and stresses, and from this strains patterns can develop. These strains or tensions may benefit from osteopathic treatment and this may also help prevent ongoing problems with your neck, back and pelvis.
Conditions associated with pregnancy
Common complaints or conditions associated with pregnancy that pregnant women present with for treatment from an osteopath are:
- Sciatica or leg pain
- Lower back and buttock pain
- Pelvic pain: sacroiliac joint and pubic symphysis pain
- Pelvic instability
- Postural related pain such as Neck, shoulder & mid back pain, or headaches.
- Achy & swollen legs & feet
- Pain through the wrists, hands and Carpal tunnel Syndrome
- Shortness of breath or Heartburn
- Incontinence & Pelvic floor weakness